Thursday, September 17, 2009

September - Drummers & Jewerly Designers oh my

I have been lacking on my blog entries, maybe its because the last time I was here, I spent so much time adjusting my treasury screen shots and was frustrated that I could not get them to fit on my blog posts. arrgg. As evidenced below! Or maybe its because it was my birthday and although I'm not one to dread getting a bit older each year, this year I felt it was better to have a low-key celebration. Its a different year, the world feels uneasy and my world has changed. I'm not working in an office, I'm not commuting, I'm not managing people or crisis or working with big business, nor am I buried in a sea of emails from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. My husband says I'm happier and I laugh more and I know he's happy to not have me lost in the zone (the blackberry zone). So, things are different, but exciting and unpredictable, which in the end I hope is a good thing. I promised myself when I left the Network that I would write that script I've always wanted to write. Why not, I have the time right? Well sort of, I'm uh..um... working on it! You know, taking a "hiatus" from the rat race requires a bit of downtime and there are other pursuits like family plans that I've neglected sadly and now require my attention. Not to mention the continuing quest to consider what my next income based move will be. My husband has been supportive of my need to discover what's next and I LOVE the joy of creating things that people enjoy wearing. And some are wearing LATIGO MOON even on one of the most important days of their life - on their wedding day. I mean how great is that?! But it wasn't until my birthday that I realized I might have made a big mistake in venturing into jewelry design. I think through everything, I mean in PR you have to analyze every possible scenario and outcome when you make a move but in this case I have failed to realize the one negative of me playing with gemstones and making jewelry. This is it: when you make your own jewelry, when its time for your birthday, anniversary or Christmas, you may never get jewelry as a gift again. It hit me, "Hey, wait a minute." I told my husband, "You know, just because I make jewelry, doesn't mean that you have to stop getting me something pretty that YOU like for me?" We're cutting back now anyway, but I felt the need to make this proclamation now, early, before it sinks in for all eternity or when the economy and job outlook improves. I should have realized this when I started, I didn't really think that one through! I always laugh when I think about something my neighbor Doug said. He and his wife live next door to a kid who likes to bang on the drums. Not great when you want to go to sleep! Then recently, new neighbors next door to them also moved in. One is a pretty well known jazz drummer and his wife designs fine jewelry. So when Doug realized I started LATIGO MOON, he jokingly said, "Oh great, now I'm surrounded by 2 drummers and 2 jewelry designers!" His wife told me she plans on getting some more earrings from me. Sorry Doug!! If only I could make golf clubs or build a boat to make everyone happy around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment